Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Near the border of the Forbidden Forest

Near the border of the Forbidden Forest - Page 9 Empty Re: Near the border of the Forbidden Forest

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 04:12

Indiana listened to Shelby listing out some of her hobbies before hearing her question.

"That's alright." Indiana replied. "Just seeking to get a general idea on finding out what pastimes that others around my age tend to do. I guess one doesn't have to participate in certain extremities such as sky-diving or bungee jumping to find some entertainment and thrills to enjoy."

Near the border of the Forbidden Forest - Page 9 Empty Re: Near the border of the Forbidden Forest

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 05:12

"I suppose that a desire to do one of those things is alright, as long as it's something that you will only do once in your life," Shelby replied, wiping a fingerprint smudge off her tiara. "You just seem to be a bit more attracted to danger than everyone else I know."

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 05:31

"That's a bit too broad." Indiana replied. "Maybe I'm attracted to some recreational activities that have elements of danger be it snowboarding or wing-suit flying. I might later add Quidditch to that list. But I certainly won't do things such as walk into some place full of gangsters and cutthroats or pick a fight against acromantulas or large magical beasts that could break me in two."

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 05:56

"Even if it's only some recreational activities that have elements of danger, that's still more than everyone else I know," Shelby laughed. "But you're right, you're only attracted to the fun kind of danger. The dangerous kind of danger is attracted to you."

She was glad that he seemed to be interested in Quidditch. "What position are you interested in playing?" she asked.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 06:01

It was then that Indiana contemplated on the answer to Quidditch. He knew of the positions and their functions but he had not seen a game to truly make an assessment to which one interested him.

'I think there were some of the first-years that were allegedly playing a game. I'll have to check that out to get a good idea.' Indiana thought to himself before answering. "I guess it would be the Chaser position."

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 06:30

Shelby thought that Chaser would be a good position for Indiana. She laughed when Elise's engine revved. Apparently she also thought he would make a good Chaser.

"Why Chaser?" she asked, wondering if his reasons for why the spot appealed to him were the same as hers for thinking the same thing.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 07:18

Indiana replied. "Well, I'm real good at catching and throwing and the position seems to have simple tasks. I just need to learn how to fly a broomstick and ace learning how to coordinate with others since there are more than one Chaser on a team."

Then it was his turn to ask. "Would it be safe for me to assume that you'll be going for the Beater spot?"

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 07:54

Shelby was all too familiar with Indiana's throwing skills. "Learning to fly isn't that difficult, I'm sure you'll do very well."

She nodded in response to his question. "That would be a safe assumption. I don't think that many people are interested in being beaters, so I think I have a good chance of getting it. Everyone else is too interested in being the Seeker," she would never understand why people wanted the pressure that came with being a Seeker.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 08:17

"Since the Snitch can sometimes be the determining factor between a win and a loss, I guess it's just the attention that comes from playing on the spot." Indiana replied.

"Of course, if I play as a Keeper, I wonder if Elise wouldn't mind having some Shield Charms around her while I drive and use her size to block the Quaffle." the youth added before hearing several car honks and seeing Elise's wipers moving very fast.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 08:36

Shelby rolled her eyes and shook her head, but smiled. "I hate to be the one who has to tell you this, but cars aren't allowed in Quidditch," she said teasingly. "That would be cheating."

"Are you afraid that you wouldn't be able to beat me fair and square?" she asked in the same tone of voice.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 09:37

"How can I beat you when you're a Beater wielding a large bat and sending Bludgers at me? I know cars aren't allowed in Quidditch." Indiana replied before looking at Elise. "Don't worry, Elise. I won't drive you in a Quidditch game and I don't even know how to enchant objects with a Shield Charm yet."

He then turned back to Shelby. "Played any other positions besides Beater that you're also good at?"

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 09:56

"I've played Keeper a few times. I suppose I've done well every time I've played that position, not as well as when I play Beater though. I've never played Chaser, and I'm a terrible Seeker," Shelby answered, shuddering at the memory of the one time she'd tried to play Seeker.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 10:19

Indiana nodded, detecting Shelby's discomfort. "I'm a much better snowboarder than I am at skiing. The latter is a bit rough because you always have to control both feet and keep them synchronized when going in one direction or when turning due to the equipment worn. I've only done skiing once and that one time gave me more than enough problems to convince me to go onto snowboarding, which was much easier to manage and better to control in my opinion."

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 10:46

"My attempt at playing Seeker ended with me breaking my arm in two places and getting a concussion," Shelby explained. "Needless to say, I prefer to be on the sending rather than receiving end of the Bludgers."

She was intrigued by Indiana's discussion of skiing and snowboarding. "What exactly is the purpose of each of those sports?" she asked with interest.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 11:50

"Both of them involving riding down the snow-covered slope of a mountain while wearing either skis that were long, flat rectangular device runners designed to be worn underneath each foot to slide smoothly over the snow or the snowboard that is a single large version of the ski designed to accommodate both feet." Indiana replied.

"In either skiing or snowboarding, people are traveling down the slopes while controlling their direction and speed. Both sports are usually for recreational leisure, though some individuals go farther as to start racing each other down the slopes with or without obstacles while navigating through the terrain ahead. You'll find people skiing or snowboarding do random stunts either on the ground or while flying through the air to show off their control and balance just to boost their own egos along with goading others to surpass their successful achievements."

"In a way, it could be like riders take part in racing each other to see who can clear an obstacle-filled terrain the fastest while performing tricks with their broomsticks."

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 11:59

Shelby listened with wide eyes, eager to hear everything that Indiana could tell her about the fascinating Muggle sports. "That sounds like fun. I'd like to try one or both of those some day," she said when he had finished speaking.

"There are no points or anything like that?" she asked for clarification.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:13

"Since you've played as a Beater and had a fair share of injuries and being roughed up, I doubt that the mountain could stop you." Indiana replied. "Beginning phase is a bit painful but over time, it gets easier in the long run."

"What do you mean by points?" Indiana asked after hearing Shelby's question, not sure on what she was asking by that.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:48

Shelby blushed at Indiana's comment, feeling a little flattered. It was probably true. She was notoriously stubborn about learning new things and even a mountain wouldn't be enough to stop her from learning to snowboard or ski. "By 'painful' do you mean that I should expect to fall a lot?"

"You know, points. As in, when the Seeker catches the Snitch, his or her team wins an extra 150 points," she clarified.

Post by Guest Tue 10 Aug 2010, 23:08

"Not just falling but both can also be physically demanding due to the aspects of controlling your speed and direction in the beginning. In addition, the mountains' higher elevations have lower oxygen levels." Indiana replied.

"For amateurs, it's probably bragging rights and sometimes conventional prizes for local competitions. Globally, professionals from countries all over the world participate in the Winter Olympics that is held every four years for a variety of sports, skiing and snowboarding being two of the major ones. There are divisions within each and panels of judges that evaluate a performance on a criteria during the action before giving a final score at the end. The top three scorers in each division earn medals: gold, silver, and bronze."

Post by Guest Wed 11 Aug 2010, 04:45

Shelby wondered if skiing or snowboarding would come as naturally to her as flying did. "I'm very good at controlling my speed and direction on a broom, though I suppose these would both be very different than riding a broom," she said.

She nodded her head when Indiana mentioned the Olympics. "I've watched the Winter Olympics before, though mostly I just watched the figure skating," she said.

Post by Guest Wed 11 Aug 2010, 05:17

"Yeah, I also watch that too." Indiana replied. Figure skating was certainly a very fun display, be it solo or with a partner amid dancing across the ice. He grimaced a bit when thinking about the lack of protective gloves on the hands should the fingers be in the way of the blade of an ice skate.

He then looked out at the lake and then at the mountains, the latter taking a good amount of his interest.

'I wonder if the mountains are actually outside of the campus.' he thought quietly.

Post by Guest Thu 12 Aug 2010, 02:37

Shelby couldn't help but laugh at Indiana's comment. "You watch figure skating?" she managed to say between giggles.

The mental image of him watching figure skating was quite amusing. She pictured him sitting on a couch with a bowl of popcorn, cheering when a skater landed a particularly difficult jump and looking disappointed when they didn't.

Post by Guest Thu 12 Aug 2010, 03:16

"I watched the figure-skating performances with May and Nonette." Indiana replied. "They both love watching the performances and sometimes place bets on who will get the top score and the loser has to cook all the meals the following day. One way or another, I always end up having to help the one that loses the overall bets."

Indeed, Indiana remembered having to help May or Nonette cook the meals during their betting spree on 2026 Winter Olympics. Even though he grumbled, he did at least learned how to cook a few simple meals.

Post by Guest Thu 12 Aug 2010, 04:46

Shelby laughed again. Every word he said made the mental image more vivid and even funnier. She pictured him wearing the frilly pink apron that her mother wore when she cooked, which was ten times more entertaining than the thought of him being punished by her former Head of House.

"I'm quite sad that Professor Williams is gone. Now I'll never get to see you prance around in a tiara," she pretended to pout.

Post by Guest Thu 12 Aug 2010, 05:18

Indiana shuddered a bit, thinking about the punishment that Will Black had to go through once Professor Williams had been done with disciplining him for making a potion in the boy's lavatory.

"At least she didn't go far in getting male students to cross-dress completely when taking disciplinary action. Despite her rather interesting methods on punishing unruly students, I agree that it's sad to see her leave. I learned a good number of charms from her class." Indiana replied. "I also had fun in Professor Hunt's classes as well."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 15 May 2024, 15:43