Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Empty Classroom

Empty Classroom - Page 2 Empty Re: Empty Classroom

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 03:40

Will stilled as he watched Alice interact with a ferret. He coughed at her question. "Not...not really. But I'm sure boob here might want to know how we're standing. Him being all concerned about it and what not." It's not like he wanted to know the points so far. Nope, not at all.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 03:43

Raven smirked at Will's attempt to try and pawn it off. He knew where they stood. Grinning, he turned to Alice, "Don't tell him, Sunshine. After all, Wilma has already stated that he doesn't care. On a different subject, do you know where I can get a new mythology book?"
    He held up his. "Mine's kinda falling apart."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 03:50

Alice chuckled at Wills denial of caring about House points grinning slightly. Will was too stubborn for his own good sometimes but at least he was calmer about it, even if he was denying that he cared about it. She turned her attention back towards Raven shaking her head a bit before she answered, "Did you check the Library yet? I know I might have some, but admittedly it's probably only Greek and Roman... unless father found out a way to fit more books in my suitcase."

Her father had tried to make sure her suitcase was perfecting packed while her mother stood there laughing at him being so thorough. She still had yet to unpack half of the things her father had packed her.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 03:56

"Greek, Roman, anything is good." Raven started kicking his legs back and forth again. "I told you in the library, I read anything I can get my hands on, if it's mythology."
    He pursed his lips, pondering. Would the Hogwarts library have mythology books? They were Muggle books after all, but....
    "A friend of mine had a theory about mythology. He said that he thinks a lot of it was actually wizards and stuff. You know like Zues turning into different animals was Transfiguration. I suppose he could be right."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 04:04

"So it might be a good idea to check and see if they have anything involving mythology and wizardy? After all it would be quite interesting if you could find out if the theory might be true..." Alice's voice wandered off as she thought about the possibility that in the past wizards could have possibly been considered gods. In a way it would make sense in a more primitive world when wizards could actually do magic in the muggle sight. Then there would be a possibility of worship as gods, it was a truly possible theory after all the legends change over time drastically.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 04:08

Raven nodded, warming up to the subject. "It's a possibility right? I mean, we have the same tales in every country, the names and events just sometimes vary. There a some that are very close and seem like its the same story almost exactly."
    Spacing out and thinking along similar lines as Alice he frowned suddenly. "You think that maybe that was what Voldemort was after? Maybe he realized the same thing and wanted to be worshipped like the gods of old?"

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 04:20

"It's a very real possibility, after all in a more primitive world without the technology muggles have today some of the more simple things today could be considered miracles from the gods. And he might have been... people crave power and when they get to a point they will wish to become a 'god'. I'm quite glad at least he is long gone otherwise only Merlin knows what state the world would be in today."

Alice grimanced hoping that would not have to deal with someone such as Voldemort again any time soon. It would be truly disasterous if one who was so power hungry became a 'god'. One of her favorite muggle books she had read included a quote that she felt fit the situation... Absolute power corrupts absolutely, she thought rubbing the goosebumps that had appeared on her arms.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 06:14

Raven nodded as he thought. "Do you think that maybe that was one of the reasons why the statute of secrecy or whatever its called was agreed upon? Not only the god thing, but also because people would try and solve every little problem with magic?"
    There were wizard and witches now that took their magic for granted and did stuff with magic that they could've easily done the Muggle way. Pulling his leg up on the desk, he rested his chin on it and looked out the window again.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 06:30

Alice thought about this thinking about back how to her father and mother brought her up to know the muggle way of the most simple of things such as cleaning. Maybe they had felt that magic is usually just an easy way out of something and it is not always guaranteed. While you could have easily done it for yourself you relied on your magic instead of your own abilities. "I agree that it might have been part of the reason why we hide it, my parents always made me do things without magic. They probably felt it's only the easy way out instead of relying on a person's physical abilities. Magic is easy to abuse if you rely on it too much and it can have serious consequences."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 06:37

"Yeah....." Raven continued staring out the window. Maybe that was why his mother so detested it, even though she was a witch. She certainly made sure he knew how to do things without the reliance of magic.
    Fiddling with his shoelace, he glanced over at his two companions. Will was lost in his book once again. A smile twitched to life on Raven's face. "I wonder if Hades has chewed on any of Will's precious books."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 07:17

Samantha wanted a quiet place to read her book. Her aunt had not send her a note or a thank you for the pie but an owl had dropped Warfares into her lap. No one else would send her a book which had only recently been discovered and translated from Gobblegook, she doubted this book would hit the mainstream market for a decade, if ever.

The library was out of the question because there were so many people there and she was afraid to be caught anywhere near the seventh floor, the professors would be all too happy to take off points.

Spotting an empty classroom, she walked in only to realize that it wasn't empty at all.Raven, a Ravenclaw boy and a Hufflepuff girl were already there.

"I'm s-s-sorry<" she stuttered. "I d-didn't know this room w-was taken.." she trailed off, lowering her head and hiding behind her hair.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 07:21

Looking up at the stuttering voice, Raven's frown turned to a smile. "Hey, Sam. It's not taken, there's plenty of room and it's not like we're really doing anything. Why don't you join us?"
    Canting his head he spotted the book she was carrying and slapped his forehead. The cookbooks! With the Purge and all he had completely forgot to ask his mom about the cookbooks! He felt bad now. Biting the inside of his cheek he resolved to go to the owlery later to write and ask his mom about the books.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 07:26

"Oh... T-thanks, I won't be a bother.... I just... wanted a quiet place to read this," she held up the book as though defending herself in front of the Wizengamot.

Walking over to an empty desk, she pulled out a chair and sat down, opening the Goblin book and lowering her head over it. She knew it would be quiet violent but that was to be expected of anything written by those creatures. Their accounts and point of views on wizards fascinated her to no ends.

Last edited by Samantha Quill on Tue 20 Jul 2010, 08:49; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 07:31

Seeing as how both his friends were distracted, Raven got up and went to where Sam was. Squatting in front of her desk he read the cover. "Warefares? What's that?"
    Was that a book they were supposed to be reading for History of Magic? If it was, he was in trouble. Then he remembered Sam saying she liked history, so maybe it was her own book?

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 07:39

Samantha looked up at the boy squatting in front of her, asking about the book.

"It's... well, it's actually an account of a Goblin leader. It was found among his personal items after his death and has just been translated into English," the girl explained hesitantly. She wondered what the boy would think of her reading something so violent and clearly anti-wizard - as was the case with all Goblin based documents.

Last edited by Samantha Quill on Tue 20 Jul 2010, 08:51; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 07:46

Canting his head Raven hmmmed. That sounded sooooooo much better than that story of Harmony's that he'd 'borrowed' on the train. Standing, he hopped onto the desk behind him so he was still sitting facing Sam. "You must have some connections if it was just translated and you have a copy."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 09:17

Samantha looked up frightened. The boy had guessed correctly.

"My... My aunt is... a real book enthusiast," she said quietly, trying to be as truthful as she could under the circumstances. "She's usually able to get books that aren't out in the mainstream market yet..."

Trying to distract him from her personal life, she hurriedly said "This was quilled by a direct descendant of Ragnuk the First, who, as you may know, forged the famous La Rubia - or the Sword of Godric Gryffindor, as it's now known."

Last edited by Samantha Quill on Tue 20 Jul 2010, 08:52; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 09:34

Interested, Raven leaned forward on the desk, his hands gripping the edge of the desk, keeping him seated. "Really? Wow. I mean, I didn't know which goblin who is, but that's kinda cool. So, is it written to where its interesting or is it just all boring facts like a text book?"
    Raven could handle history and stuff if it was written in story format like mythology was, but plain facts didn't hold his attention for very long.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 09:54

Samantha couldn't help but giggle at the boy's question. She wasn't surprised at his warped perception of history - it was quiet normal for kids her age to not care about dusty old tomes filled with tedious facts and figures.

"You know, history is a lot more interesting then those boring writers make it out to be. The main reason why classroom history is so monotonous is because it discourages students from asking questions," she explained.

"Take this, for example," she continued. "Zylghore - the author - describes the sword in minute detail as well as how his ancestors forged it. He claims the sword is not an inanimate object but has it's own will which was beaten into submission by Godric Gryffindor after he stole it from Ragnuk. Of course, taming a Goblin wrought object does come at a price,"

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 09:58

Leaning forward even more, Raven's eyes widened. A sword with a will of its own? How cool would that be! And Gryffindor beat it into submission? What did that mean? Knowing that Sam probably wouldnt' laugh at him if he voiced his ignorance, he asked, "What price? And how does one beat something like that to his way?"

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:10

Samantha was starting to like this boy more and more. He didn't make fun of her for reading history books, he didn't tease her for her baking habits and he even seemed interested in what she had to say. Clearing her head, she tried to think of the best way to explain her answers.

"Umm... I know you don't read much history but you must know the case of the Elder Wand during the Second Dark War. Where the Dark Lord was trying to posses the Wand of Destiny. And how the wand would only work for someone who had earned the right to it by defeating it's last owner? Well, the sword is also like that, only..." she tried to think of the right word without making him laugh. "Meaner."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:20

Nodding, Raven agreed with knowing about the Elder Wand. It was a great read! It had always fascinated him about the whole, only someone who'd defeated the other was able to use the Elder Wand. And to hear that Godric Gryffindor's sword had been like that! "Wait....Meaner? Meaner, how? Did Godric have to hack the other guy to pieces with another sword or something?"

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:31

"Actually, you're partly right. See, in wizards, it's possible to subdue a wand but not kill the last owner but Goblins hold their objects very dear. Meaning that all those stories of Gryffindor buying the sword are - if you'll excuse my language - complete rubbish," the girl stated, all trace of nervousness forgotten as she stepped into her element.

"Not only would Gryffindor have had to pry the sword from the Goblin's dead fingers but he would also be eternally cursed for his evil deed," she explained.

"You see, when I said earlier that the sword had a will of it's own, I meant that all Goblin made objects do. And while their will can be tamed or subdued, they would always want to go back to their creator or the creator's descendant. The sword was not allowed to leave and Godric kept it close to him all the time. And in this journal, it claims that the thief would forever be cursed with bloodshed or unril the sword was returned to it's rightful owner."

Samantha was completely lost in the world of long ago, recounting stories of the old. However, after she finished her monologue, it struck her that the boy might be bored out of his mind at her speech.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:48

Hanging on her every word, Raven had leaned even further forward, and promptly lost his balance and fell off the desk. "Ow...."
    Looking up sheepishly, he felt himself blush in embarrassment. Opting to staying on the floor, he sat crosslegged looking up at her. "So, Godric, everyone's 'hero' was actually a murderer, just so he could get the sword?"
    Wait! Did that curse extend to the reason why he and Salazar Slytherin got so hostile towards each other?

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 11:12

Samantha laughed as the boy tumbled to the floor. At least he wasn't bored.

"Yes and no," she replied evenly. "See, the sword was extremely bitter at being separated from it's forger and therefore particularly violent on those it turned upon. So great was it's sorrow and anger that it seeped into Gryffindor himself - who spent all waking moments with it. Towards the end, he became a little... unstable. But he was powerful, yes. He was feared and admired for his strength, he looked the part too. Handsome, strong, a good speaker. Salazar was more an indoors kind of person, more interested in magical creatures, gemstones and their healing properties. They used to be really good friends but the sword changed Godric to the point where he trusted no one and thought he alone could run the school."

Samantha lowered her head, this part of the school's history always made her sad. "So Salazar left. He left the school because he didn't want to fight and Hufflepuff was quiet submissive by nature. Ravenclaw got married and well... Godric was left to write all the mainstream history books which depict him as the savior of the wizarding world," she rolled her eyes in sarcasm at the last tine.

Last edited by Samantha Quill on Mon 19 Jul 2010, 11:31; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024, 18:05