Hogwarts Portus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Empty Classroom

Empty Classroom - Page 3 Empty Re: Empty Classroom

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 11:28

Now why didn't they teach that stuff here in school! If they did, Raven wouldn't be so bored. Probably neither would anyone else. Thinking of something his mom had said once, he repeated it softly, "History is written by the conquerers. Never the subjegated."
    Fiddling with his shoestring he cleared his throat. "So, that's what that book is about then? Godric's sword, or of the goblin that made the sword and what followed?"

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 11:40

Samantha nodded at the quietly muttered quote, Mrs. Drake must be a wise women to have instilled that in her son.

"This book is mostly about this particular Goblin. Only one chapter is dedicated to the La Rubia out of courtesy because it's still held in very regard by the Goblins. You see, they always keep history in mind, unlike us. This book is mostly on the hypocrisy of wizards as witnessed by this Goblin. He worked at Gringgots for seventy years so he describes the banks inner workings - without giving away any secrets, of course - in detail and how wizards use the bank as a political means. It says how wizards hold nothing but money and power sacred..." she trailed off, realizing she was insulting her own kind.

Last edited by Samantha Quill on Tue 20 Jul 2010, 09:01; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:00

"Wow." That was all Raven could say. He winced knowing that sounded oh so intelligent. He couldn't really argue against what she'd said. His father was prime example of it. Sighing, he glanced over at his book then back at Sam. "Hey, Sam. I hope this doesn't sound presumptious, but you think your aunt could get me a new mythology book?"
    He pointed at the taped up copy on the desk then his eyes went wide realizing he might seem rude. "I'll pay for it of course, I didn't mean I wanted you to do if for free...."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:08

Will, politely reading silently as Raven and this Sam girl launched a discussion on the subject of Godric Gryffindor's sword, couldn't help but think of their words. While the story was indeed interesting, it was but one of thousands on theories dedicated to Gryffindor's history. It was impossible to be the be-all end all of stories.

He had also heard of this goblin story and his father had noted, with a rather reluctant air, that goblins were too proud of what they forged for others and selfishly claimed these items despite it. Goblins had the tendency to lie and claim that the wizards and witches involved were the true villains of the story.

Which led him to another loophole. If Godric's sword was so disloyal to him, why was it summoned by a student who called for it twice in one century---the students who displayed true traits of the Gryffindor House? However, he said nothing on the subject, merely musing.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:12

"Uhh..." Samantha was caught yet again. How could she explain that the books she read were not only highly outside the mainstream reading market but even considered illegal in certain countries. After all, it would not do to educate the young witches and wizards on the lie their ancestors had been living. It was only through her aunt's special connections that she was able to obtain such classified documents.

Still, she was just starting to feel like she had made a friend and she didn't want to turn him down.

"Y-you don't have to p-pay," she said hurriedly, wishing she could tell him money was the least of their problems. "I'll ask my aunt for one," she finished. She'll make some excuse and get a book... and then say she lost it. Or hopefully her aunt will just forget about it. She wasn't much interested in mythology anyway. Samantha could always claim she needed it for a school assignment.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:21

Raven frowned. His mother hadn't raised an ingrate. "I would have bought a copy before coming to school, but I was running late. I didn't want to miss the train. I said I was gonna pay and I am." To do otherwise was just wrong. He was raised you didn't take advantage of someone, not if you could help it.
    He stubbornly crossed his arms. "If you won't take the money then I don't want you to ask your aunt for a copy. I'll just owl order for one."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:31

Samantha noted the stubborn look in the boy's eyes. He would not be deterred. How could she explain that the book she would get him didn't specifically have a market value and if it did, it would be out of the usual first year's budget.

"Umm... it's probably going to be something that's been lying around the house for ages, gathering dust. We have lots of new books so we're hardly going to miss one," she tried to persuade him another way.

She was also aware that the Ravenclaw boy had gone unusually still behind his book and she guessed he was probably listening to her conversation with some skepticism. Well, if he had something to say, he was welcome as she always appreciated different perspectives but she was certainly not going to approach him. She had seen him around school a few times and truth be told, he scared her.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:39

Raven refused to budge on the matter. "I don't care. I insist on paying you or else I'll owl order one."
    It didn't matter if it was old or new. He wouldn't back down on this. He had been telling her the truth and a new book was not worth throwing away a potential friend. He didn't want her to think that he just friends with her becuase of her influence or whatever. He hated people that took advantage and used other people like that. Sighing, he stood up. "Forget it. I'll go owl order one."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:43

She saw the boy standing up to leave and hastily said "It's okay, you can pay," before he walked out. "Besides, whatever you get from a bookstore won't be as as good as what my aunt can get you," she added.

She could always price it moderately and donate the money to charity or something, Her aunt was no penny pincher and neither was she.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 12:53

Will raised an eyebrow over the proceedings. If Raven was really that interested in mythological history it gave him a rather good idea on what to give him for Christmas. His manor had over a thousand books dedicated to history. Merlin only knew how hard he was trying to think about the appropriate gifts and it was right under his nose.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 13:02

Looking suspiciously he at Sam to see if the girl was just saying that to pity him, he sighed. Her offer seemed genuine enough. If he was hearing what he thoght he was hearing though, it sounded like the book she was offering was pretty pricey. Having a really nice book would be killer, but....He looked back at his battered copy before turning to face Sam again with crossed arms. "Fine, but you had better charge me the right price. I don't want you knocking the price down. It can be a cheaper book. That one didn't cost more than 35 pounds. Do we have a deal?"

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 13:19

"Deal," the girl muttered. She could see how important this was to the boy and vowed to find him a book that was good and as close to that amount as possible. Besides, she could always give the money - or things worth that much money - to her aunt in a roundabout way.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 13:44

Nodding, Raven smiled again and seeing that Will had been listening, rolled his eyes. Picking up his mythology book, he debated what he should do now. He'd disturbed Sam enough, and Will had his book too, but Raven was resltess. Maybe he'd go to the dungeons and see if Lawr was up yet. If he wasn't, he could always dump water on him, to make him get up. Grinning, he stated, "I'll see you guys later."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 14:13

"O-okay," Samantha replied, watching him leave. Once her housemate had left the classroom, she turned back to Warfares and started reading. This was why she had came here, to just relax and read some historical accounts. The reliability - or lack thereof - of the document didn't bother her in the least seeing as she was well aware that history was in fact, just that - his story.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 14:23

Will rolled his eyes as Raven left, obviously he can't stay in one place for too long and returned to his reading, noticing that this Sam girl did the same.

"Fascinating story. What not about the goblin who forged Godric Gryffindor's sword," He said conversationally as he turned a page, his eyes still on the text. "Goblins are quite the respectable race, are they not? Being able to create such legendary items."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 14:37

A conversational tone interrupted her reading, one Samantha had no problem matching as she didn't bother looking up from the page more out of shyness than disrespect for the boy. She could talk safely as long as she was hidden behind the pages.

"Their craftsmanship is admirable, yes," she stated, choosing not to comment on the 'respectable' part.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 14:53

"It would make sense for them to be highly possessive of these items regardless," Will continued with a light tone, finally getting his point across. "Even if the item in question was bought, not stolen. But I suppose every story has a side of truth, however opposed they are from each other."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 15:12

"Would you blame them for their possessiveness? To want to keep an item one has worked so hard to create. Especially in a world taken over by a self proclaimed ruling species?" the Slytherin questions, eyebrows slightly raised. "But yes, the element of truth does vary as it's all a matter of perspective," she conceded.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 15:18

"Quite possibly, if it was not their intention to sell the item in question. If they merely lent the item to someone, it is only fair to return it," Will answered plainly with a turn of the page.

"However, when one agrees to make something for someone, they should not expect it back in the long run, especially if they sold it for a price. That is subtle theft, if you think about it." Will had no grudge with goblins, but he was getting pretty sick of the idea that only wizards were in the wrong when dealing with another species.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 15:28

"True, but nowhere in acceptable records does it dictate that Goblins willingly make objects for humans. They do not require currency seeing as they make it, their system has little need for money," the girl intoned in that same monotonousness fashion. "Barter system was the way of the Goblins - and only within their own species - until wizards decided to they could put Goblins to use themselves."

Samantha was no Goblin supporter, in fact, she would be among the first to testify to their ruthless and blood thirty nature. But in a way, she also felt bad for them for being forced to live under wizards' rule and abide by their laws - regardless of the good those laws did.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 15:36

"Acceptable records is the key word you have used," Will smiled from his book. "Who's to say these are the most accurate findings of the historical systems between goblins and wizards at the time? If the barter system was indeed initiated between wizards and goblins, then it's only possible that Gryffindor gave something of valuable importance to Ragnuk the First in order to have his sword forged. He would not have possibly stolen it if the sword had his name emblazoned on it."

"There is also the matter of magic embedded into the sword," Will continued, enjoying this quiet debate. "I doubt the sword would have cursed him if it reacted to lend aid to Harry Potter and Neville Longbottom during the Second Wizard War---both students with the strengths of Gryffindor himself. It only concludes that the sword is indeed a true artifact of Gryffindor and something that was rightfully his regardless of it being goblin-made."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 15:58

"I suppose you're right about the validity of any historical document but it should be kept in mind that the carved name - which you use as the first basis of your defense - would have been a later addition to the weapon. In fact, keeping the Goblin's possessive nature in mind, it would seem highly unlikely that were they to forge a weapon for a wizard in exchange for something, they would go as far as to carve his or her name on it," the girl suggested.

"As for the sword aiding the Chosen One and his friends, the sword was bound to Gryffindor regardless of it's personal wishes. Even The Deathstick worked for the Dark Lord sufficiently well though it didn't rightfully belong to him."

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 16:24

"You may have a good point on that," Will conceded fairly. "However, it would be unwise for a wizard to manipulate goblin-made artifacts for reasons easily known. Only goblins may forge goblin-made items and only goblins may add to it. This is part of the possessiveness that you speak. Goblin-made items are well endowed with special properties unlike wizard kind. It is near impossible for an outside party to change the physical and magical properties of the sword. And even if they somehow managed it, the magic would be null since it was forged again by wizard hands."

"This is why I am highly skeptical of the goblins' view on the Sword of Gryffindor," Will continued. "Albus Dumbledore himself has stated in numerous essays of Godric's respect for goblins and Hermione Granger has attributed in her biography that they used the natural properties of the goblin-made sword to destroy the Dark Lord's horcruxes. A goblin-made sword tampered by wizards could not possibly manage this feat. Therefore, Godric's name on the sword must have been engraved by a goblin, otherwise it's magnificent properties would no longer exist."

Will was thoroughly enjoying this debate. He had not had a good argument in quite awhile and was very impressed with this Slytherin girl's knowledge on goblin history.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 16:49

"Near impossible is the word,"Samantha said, finally looking up from the book. She couldn't believe how much fun she was having. Clearly, if any of her classmates had happened upon herself and this boy, they would have thought them downright bores but this was possibly the most productive conversation Samantha had had since arriving at the school. "We are talking about Godric Gryffindor - one of the most talented wizards in all of history despite his ethical standings. And Goblin magic usually works in such a way where the more you try to alter the object, the more resistance it puts up. Meaning that while it would take a supremely skilled witch or wizard to alter the object even the slightest bit, it would require far more skill to actually alter it magically in any way shape or form. Who's to say that Gryffindor didn't posses that amount of skill needed just to forge a name?"

"As for Dumbledore's accounts, you'll excuse me for not putting too much stock in them as among his many accomplishments was being a manipulator who twisted situations and people to suit his own ambition. However, I do agree with the works of Hermione Granger but the natural properties weren't specifically stated to be due to the Goblins. For instance, in one case, the fang of a basilisk was used to destroy a horcrux and Fiendfyre to destroy another."

"Seeing as there is no way to know if the sword itself was working at it's full potential at the hands of the Chosen One and his companions, it's fair that we consider both sides of the story," she finished, taking a deep breath.

"Plus, it should be kept in mind that Gryffindor worked closely with Ravenclaw - the leading witch when it came to experimental charms of that century," she added as a side note.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jul 2010, 17:16

"Ah and that is where the debate unfortunately ends," Will regretfully closed his book. "Both sides have a possibility regarding Godric Gryffindor's sword. But we could not know for sure the true history of how the sword truly came to be. We can only speculate and that is where the argument becomes a stand still. Perhaps Gryffindor actually managed to manipulate the sword, or perhaps Ragnuk had just merely owed a favor to him and made the sword as a sign of gratitude? One can only imagine."

He got up from his station on the chair. "However, I could only believe in the good intentions of Godric Gryffindor, for true manipulation seems to be more of a Slytherin quality. That is the real reason why I defend his right to the sword. As for Ravenclaw, one can also speculate, though I doubt she would attempt to charm such a respectable weapon out of admiration for goblin-made artifacts. Something that she was noticeably fond of."

"And I'm dreadfully sorry, but I seem to not know your name," Will offered his hand to her. "Will Black. Raven Drake's less blunt half." He was remarkably impressed that a Slytherin could match wits with him, aside from Lawrence. It was a refreshing thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024, 14:35